Wednesday, March 28, 2012

information on sql server 2005 express edition

Hello, I'm completly new to SQL server 2005 express and wanted to see if somebody can answer a few questions for me.

I recently had a small application developed to import CSV files into a SQL database. The application imports roughly 200,000 records a day and takes roughly 4 hours or longer to import the data. I greatly under estimated the amount of time that it would take to import the data and I'm looking for some solutions to help speed up the process. I'm currently just using my laptop to hold the data. Would it help speed things up by dedicating a seperate machine to hold the data? If so, what type of machine would be best. I'm looking for a cost effective solution because the data is for personal use.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Generally, you can improve the speed of inserts to database tables by dropping indexes on the tables and setting the recovery model to be either SIMPLE or BULK LOGGED. The choice of recovery model will depend on how critical the data is and your method of importing.

Also, perhaps look at the BCP utility to get the information from the csv to the database. Check out the section in Books Online about Basic Guidlines for Bulk Importing Data.

HTH!

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment