Friday, March 30, 2012

Information_Schema Question

Hi
I am selecting some column info from information_schema like this:
SELECT COLUMN_NAME,DATA_TYPE,CHARACTER_MAXIMUM_LENGTH,IS_NULLABLE
FROM test.INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS
WHERE TABLE_NAME = N'Test Table';
I am doing this via OleDb connection to Sql2000
I connect as the owner of the database/tables.
I connect to the database for which I am seeking the information
('test').
I get rows returned for some tables, but not others. At first, when I
test in query analyzer (connected as same user) I got the same
results. So then, I went to Enterprise Manager and looked at
permissions for the tables for which I was getting no data returned.
There were no permissions on the tables at all. If I added, just/only
SELECT permission for this user, then I get results in query analyzer.
Ah ha, I think, I have it! So now I go back to my application and try
again with the OleDb connection and, well, it works for some tables
now (for which it did not earlier) , but there are still other tables
that , although they now return column information in Query Analyser,
still do not return any column information from my OleDb connection
query.
Is this a permissions issue with the table itself?
What else should I be looking for in my database that could be
preventing this column information from being returned to the user via
the connection? Is it the connection?
Thanks
JeffNobody has any idea what I might be missing here?
Jeff
On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 06:58:10 GMT, Jeff User <jeff31162@.hotmail.com>
wrote:
>Hi
>I am selecting some column info from information_schema like this:
>SELECT COLUMN_NAME,DATA_TYPE,CHARACTER_MAXIMUM_LENGTH,IS_NULLABLE
>FROM test.INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS
>WHERE TABLE_NAME = N'Test Table';
>I am doing this via OleDb connection to Sql2000
>I connect as the owner of the database/tables.
>I connect to the database for which I am seeking the information
>('test').
>I get rows returned for some tables, but not others. At first, when I
>test in query analyzer (connected as same user) I got the same
>results. So then, I went to Enterprise Manager and looked at
>permissions for the tables for which I was getting no data returned.
>There were no permissions on the tables at all. If I added, just/only
>SELECT permission for this user, then I get results in query analyzer.
>Ah ha, I think, I have it! So now I go back to my application and try
>again with the OleDb connection and, well, it works for some tables
>now (for which it did not earlier) , but there are still other tables
>that , although they now return column information in Query Analyser,
>still do not return any column information from my OleDb connection
>query.
>Is this a permissions issue with the table itself?
>What else should I be looking for in my database that could be
>preventing this column information from being returned to the user via
>the connection? Is it the connection?
>Thanks
>Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment